Wednesday, November 18, 2020

The Christian Right and the Election ...

In my last post I stressed that democrats need to make appearances on FOX in order for that audience to see that democrats are not America-hating-pedofile-sex-trafficking-Satanists.  

Let me be clear ... I am talking about CRAZY right wing Christians.  Not NORMAL Christians.  There is a difference.  

For instance:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1326802155815186432

If you are unable to see the attached, allow me to fill you in.  A Calvary pastor down on is knees CRYING because Biden won the election and imploring God:

This is EXACTLY what the pastor says:

                                       *    *    *    *

God you are pro-life.  And one man (Trump) is, and one man (Biden) is not.  

Lord, one man is for Israel, and one is not.  You are for Israel.

Lord one man is for our military and our police, and the other is not.  You are.

Lord, have you brought Mike Pompeo to be Secretary of State only for that to end now?

Have you brought Lord, Amy Coney-Barrett onto the court and that's it?  We're done?

                                    *    *    *    *

That's basically it.

Now, why is it that they believe God placed Trump in the White House in 2016, and now that Biden has won the presidency it's the end of the world?  Could they ever consider, as "believers", that maybe God removed Trump because of his evil and corrupt ways and placed Biden in the White House because he is a decent and God-fearing man?  NEVER.  Now why is that?  I'll tell you why.  It's because they live in the FOX NEWS bubble and believe everything FOX News says and therefore, everything that Trump says.  And I don't mean to say this in a patronizing way because these people honestly do not know that they have been lied to and manipulated.  They watch FOX with as much devotion as they attend church.  And when they attend church, the pastor reiterates everything said on FOX News.  It's a circle that goes round and round to nowhere until the brain finally atrophies.    

How do you change it?  I'm not sure.  I don't think most of these people would be willing to watch CNN or read the Wall Street Journal or the New York Times out of fear of self-immolating.  Could it be fear of finding out that maybe they have been misled?  I can understand that.  As Gloria Steinem famously said "The truth will set you free, but first it'll piss you off."  To grow as a human being, and even as a spiritual person, one needs to keep evolving, transcending, and as one progresses one leaves behind what no longer serves.  I feel that a lot of these evangelicals are afraid to move beyond what they're safe with.  It is considered sinful to question.  I know all about this.  I was raised Catholic.  And that guilt will make you crazy.  I had a few nuns in catechism that were fucking scary as shit!  But at some point you have to realize that it is really fucking hard to be a human being without trying to be perfect twenty-four/seven.  At some point you have to THINK.  Think about what YOU believe.  Think about what serves YOU.  Think about what causes YOU pain and do away with it.  That includes a restrictive religious belief that keeps trying to pound you into a square hole when YOU'RE A ROUND PEG.  

I know plenty of people like this as I'm sure you do too.  I've attended these church services where they do, in fact, pray for Trump and Pence.  Yet, as a very bad Catholic, I can tell you that I have never heard a priest tell the congregation who to vote for.  Ever.  

THAT IS WHY THE CONSTITUTION IS SPECIFIC ABOUT SEPARATION OF CHURCH AND STATE.

[You don't have to read it if you don't want to, but here it is if you want to]

The First Amendment

The first amendment to the US Constitution states "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." The two parts, known as the "establishment clause" and the "free exercise clause" respectively, form the textual basis for the Supreme Court's interpretations of the "separation of church and state" doctrine.[40] Three central concepts were derived from the 1st Amendment which became America's doctrine for church-state separation: no coercion in religious matters, no expectation to support a religion against one's will, and religious liberty encompasses all religions. In sum, citizens are free to embrace or reject a faith, and support for religion - financial or physical - must be voluntary, and all religions are equal in the eyes of the law with no special preference or favoritism.[41]


I especially like this part:  ... and all religions are equal in the eyes of the law with no special preference or favoritism.


Know what this means?  It means Muslims, Catholics, Buddhists, Atheists, Mormons, Jews, Hindus, etc., et al. are ALL PROTECTED.  Unfortunately, most evangelicals would find all of the above religious beliefs counterfeit because to them, unless you are "born again," you will spend eternity burning in Hell with Mother Teresa.  


Now here's where I'm going to call myself out.  I am a coward.  I post my blog and send it only to people who I believe will understand where I'm coming from.  Like minded people, if you will.  I would be afraid to make it entirely public because I'm pretty sure the evangelicals would come for me.  I also believe they would not READ and COMPREHEND a post like this with the intention of trying to understand another point of view.  I have posted my opinions before and know for a fact that these folks do not read what I've written because of their responses which completely overlook most of what I've written. And that is frustrating.  

In order to understand, you HAVE TO LISTEN.  And vice-versa.  I would LOVE to have a real, deep conversation with an evangelical because I sincerely want to understand why they have an undying and unyielding allegiance to Trump, without getting scripture thrown at me.  Tell me why you support this man despite his terrible character, his misogyny, his cruelty, his vindictive personality.  But I'll probably never get the opportunity to do so.  Because sadly, most of these people behave as though they went to school with God and know him better than I could ever hope to know him, ergo I am unworthy.  This is called "spiritual pride" and a lot of evangelicals suffer from it.  They are quick to forgive their own, sinners like Trump, but the first to condemn YOU.  So where's the love?  This is my entire point.  WHERE. IS. THE. LOVE.  The answer?  It's lacking.  It's conditional.  And THAT is not being Christian in anyone's book.  But they, of course, cannot see this and will argue and debate to the death that YOU are wrong and they are right.  But that's ok.  Because I KNOW I'M RIGHT.  

2 comments:

  1. Preachers and pastors and revs and rabbis and shamans and ministers need to keep their yaps and noses out of politics.

    ReplyDelete